Wednesday, April 27, 2011

New Common Core standards

On Monday, the New York Times reported on some schools adoption of the new Common Core standards for education. Since I had been researching private schools already I decided to have a look at the new public standards. The standards are broken up into two parts, English Language Arts and Mathematics. I'll tackle them separately in separate posts. I do have a couple of comments on the standards as a whole.

The standards are presented in a "what a child needs to know" format. For example, things a Kindergartner is expected to learn in English or Mathematics. This is nice because it is what I was searching for in terms of curricula (like I mentioned in my previous post).

But it doesn't seem that new. It seems to me like a focus on the "3 R's" (you remember, reading, riting and rithmetic). Haven't we been focusing on the 3 R's since I was in elementary school? And, as I would expect from a national "initiative", it is written in a bureaucratic language with plenty of weasel-words.

No comments:

Post a Comment